Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why I need Easter

Easter always seems to come at the most needed moment for me every year. This time last year, I was in a horrible place--largely a result of my own mistakes. This year I am a bad place--largely a result of my own on again, off again depression. But, Easter always reminds me of thing I have forgotten.
Easter reminds me that I am actually loved. I almost never believe that is true. When people tell me they love me, I mostly think they are either lying or that they love some nice, untrue image they have of the man that I am. My cynicism tells me that if they truly saw me for what I am, then they would not dare utter those words or they would just continue to lie.
But, Easter actually tells me that the God of all creation, Lord of heaven and earth, who knows me for what I truly am does love me. All the Sunday school songs I sang as a child are actually true. God sees me for my true nature, saw that in eternity, and yet chose to save me. It is incomprehensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment